Forum » Off-Topic » Off-Topic Discussions » nning said. "We wanted to a

nning said. "We wanted to a

• TORONTO -- How young will Vancouvers starting lineup be Wednesday for the first leg of the Amway Canadian Championship semifinal against Toronto FC? "Younger than young," Whitecaps coach Carl Robinson said with a smile. Custom New England Patriots Jerseys . "Because my first-team squad is young anyway so its a little bit younger than that. "I want to give the opportunity to some of the younger players Ive got in my squad to see how close they are to being ready. Theyve got great, fantastic ability but the only way they can learn is by challenging them in certain game situations and I think (Wednesday) is a perfect example for them to get given the opportunity. "Ive got 100 per cent faith in them." FC Edmonton hosts the defending champion Montreal Impact in the other first-leg semifinal Wednesday. Edmonton advanced by dispatching Ottawa Fury FC 3-1 on aggregate in a battle of North American Soccer League teams. Theres likely more than national pride at stake for Vancouver in showcasing the young Canadians. The Whitecaps (3-2-4) are coming off a 3-2 home win over the San Jose Earthquakes. Facing a game in Columbus on Saturday, it makes sense to rest some starters with three games in a week. So Robinson, who brought 26 players on the road trip, plans to give Canadian youth a chance with starts for 17-year-old goalkeeper Marco Carducci and 20-year-old midfielder Bryce Alderson. Midfielder Russell Teibert, a 21-year-old who already has 46 MLS appearances under his belt, will also start and Robinson is expected to have other young Canadian talent such as teenage midfielders Marco Bustos and Kianz Froese, in his matchday 18. Carducci, who has twice been named Canadian Under-17 Player of the Year, starts ahead of No. 2 keeper Paolo Tornaghi. "Im going to be very excited," Carducci said Tuesday when asked what his emotions will be come kickoff. Robinson speaks glowingly about his young keeper, a Calgary native who played for Canada at the 2013 FIFA U-17 World Cup. "Hes brilliant," said the former Welsh international, praising his commitment, work ethic and temperament. Alderson is also bubbling with excitement. "Its huge," said Alderson, who captained Canada at the 2011 FIFA U-17 World Cup and has played for the Olympic team in qualifying. A native of Kitchener, Ont., he grew up supporting Toronto FC. Now he is trying to find tickets for family and friends to see him play against them at BMO Field. Its also a home showcase for Teibert, a native of Niagara Falls, Ont., and former member of the Toronto FC Academy. "It means a lot," he said. "Its a Canadian championship and we havent been the best team in Canada just yet. Hopefully this is the year." Robinson plans to save his starting centre backs Jay DeMerit and Andy OBrien for Saturdays game in Columbus. Johnny Leveron and Carlyle Mitchell, who have deputized for the two veterans before, will likely take over Wednesday. The Whitecaps also recalled striker Omar Salgado from the Charleston Battery of USL Pro on Tuesday. Salgado will be available for Wednesdays game. Toronto has the weekend off so is facing less of a short-term fixture crunch. And given it is only now returning to a full roster after a slew of injuries, the chance to give the first team more time to play together is welcome. Still manager Ryan Nelsen plans to give goalie Joe Bendik his first start of the season, opting to rest Brazilian No. 1 Julio Cesar. That opens the door for Bendik, who started 33 games for Toronto last season before losing his job to Cesar this year. Midfielder Jeremy Hall (Achilles) is out while defender Bradley Orr (calf) and midfielder Jonathan Osorio (charley horse) are doubtful. Nelsen says designated players Jermain Defoe, Michael Bradley and Gilberto will "most likely" see action. "Theyre all desperate to play," he said. Defoe and Bradley have both missed time due to injury so still are finding their legs, the manager said. And while Brazilian striker Gilberto has yet to score, he is threatening in front of goal. "In all honesty, they do need games," Nelsen said. The Toronto manager also pointed out matter-of-factly that he tends to starts a lot of his young Canadians week in and out, with defender Doneil Henry and midfielders Osorio and Kyle Bekker as Exhibits A, B and C in recent weeks. Toronto (3-4-0) dropped its third straight game when it lost 2-1 to visiting New England on the weekend. Nelsens team, which has had widespread injury problems, has lost four of the last five. Montreal captured the inaugural Canadian championship in 2008. Toronto won it the next four years before the Impact claimed it again last year. Vancouver has finished runners-up five straight years. The winner hoists the Voyageurs Cup, donated by the Voyageurs Canadian supporters group, and earns a berth in the CONCACAF Champions League, a 24-team competition featuring clubs from North and Central America and the Caribbean. The CONCACAF Champions League winner advances to the FIFA Club World Cup. Irving Fryar Youth Jersey .m. on Friday. Granger was acquired from the Indiana Pacers last Thursday for Evan Turner and Lavoy Allen, but never played a minute for Philadelphia. The 76ers also received a 2015 second-round draft pick in the deal. Tedy Bruschi Womens Jersey . Louis Blues, having added Ryan Miller and Steve Ott from Buffalo, remain the No.Other teams probably could have offered Radim Vrbata $10 million over two years. What the Vancouver Canucks had that the competition didnt was the chance to play with Daniel and Henrik Sedin. So when general manager Jim Benning suggested it, Vrbata took it as another reason to sign with the Canucks. "He was saying that they were looking for somebody to play with Sedins and that they think I could be the guy," Vrbata said on a conference call Thursday. "I feel like with the way they play and the way they see the game, its something that would probably suit my game. Yeah, it was real interesting to have that chance." Itll be up to coach Willie Desjardins to form the lines, Benning said, but it was part of the plan to give Vrbata an opportunity with the Sedins. Benning likes that Vrbata can read plays and jump into holes. Vrbata, who had 20 goals and 31 assists in his final season with the defensive-minded Arizona Coyotes, will be counted on to produce more if hes Vancouvers top-line right-winger. He doesnt mind that pressure. "If you play with players like Sedins, you know that you will get your chances," Vrbata said. "When I think about the way they play, that kind of suits my game, I think. They like lots of give-and-gos and they like to get open for each other. I think thats something that I like to do, too." The addition of Vrbata could push Alex Burrows out of that spot. The 33-year-old who had been a regular linemate with the Sedins since 2010 had just five goals and 10 assists in 49 games this past season. Benning sees Burrows as the second-line right-winger alongside centre Nick Bonino -- acquired from the Anaheim Ducks in the Ryan Kesler trade -- and either Zack Kassian or Jannik Hansen. "We want to have balance amongst our four lines. We want to have scoring, we want to have scoring depth," Benning said. "Now we have depth at the forward positions where every line can contribute in the scoring, and thatts one of the things that we set out to do. Steve Grogan Patriots Jersey. " Signing Vrbata could be the last major move in unrestricted free agency this summer for the Canucks, who got veteran goaltender Ryan Miller on Tuesday for $18 million over three years. "For the most part were done," Benning said. "We wanted to address a couple things to make our team a complete team going into this next season, and I think weve done that. ... Were going to probably go into the season with this team and were going to see where we stand and go from there." Vrbata fit on that checklist because the Canucks wanted to add a scorer. Benning said there were some possibilities on Day One, but when they didnt materialize, the 33-year-old Czech became a priority. "For us, he plays a 200-foot game," Benning said. "He plays in all three zones and hes got real good hockey sense and hands to finish. Hes going to help us on our power play." And in the shootout. Vrbata had five goals on 12 attempts last season. But its the goals he could help produce alongside the Sedins that made Vrbata particularly attractive to the Canucks, and vice-versa. Vrbata understands he might not spend 80 games with Daniel and Henrik but doesnt sound like hed complain about doing that. "Im a big, big believer in chemistry and kind of synergy," Vrbata said. "I feel like when you have chemistry with somebody, that helps so much in todays league where sometimes its so tight and if you can really trust and gain advantage by knowing the guys youre on a line (with)." Notes -- The Canucks lost Mike Santorelli in free agency after the centre signed a US$1.5-million, one-year deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs. Benning said Vrbata got the nod over Santorelli because he has been a more consistent scorer over a longer period of time. ... Benning confirmed on a conference call with reporters that Travis Green would be back as coach of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Utica Comets. Wholeslae Jerseys NFL Jerseys Cheap Wholesale NBA Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys Cheap MLB Jerseys Wholesale Soccer Jerseys Cheap College Jerseys Cheap Football Jerseys Cheap Basketball Jerseys Cheap Baseball Jerseys ' ' '
      July 13, 2019 3:38 AM CEST